As a fellow canine lover I would like to share with you the most important Siberian Husky Facts. Siberian Huskies are loved by many people especially for their beautiful wolf like appearance. Their eyes stand out like the wolves and they also howl. There is some evidence that Siberian Huskies originated from the wolves as they belong to the Spitz-type dogs. These dogs look and even sometimes act similar to the wolves. Another example of a Spitz-type dog is the Akita, these dogs are often harder to obedience train than our common canines. Spitz-type dogs such as Huskies are said to be originated from the East Asian or Arctic regions of the world. This should explain their thick undercoat which protects them from the cold. Recent genetic advancements tells us that Huskies belong to one of the oldest types of dogs. Yes, you should be thrilled knowing that your Husky is the closest breed to the wolves.
More Siberian Husky Facts
- Siberian Huskies require a strong pack leader that can set rules and guidelines for them.
- They can live a long life of 12 to 15 years, grow up to 24 inches tall and weigh up to 65 pounds.
- They possess a high prey drive which can cause them to get into fights at dog parks or chase and hurt smaller animals. Early training is a must for this breed.
- Siberians are best fit for colder climates as they have a dense coat. For this reason, they should not be heavily worked during summer months. They require brushing every week and sheds heavily twice a year.
- Huskies do great on a diet that has at least 80 percent meat, a good quality kibble like Inova would be sufficient. You can also feed them raw meats Such as chicken, beef, lamb etc. Meats should be frozen for three days to kill any bugs contained in them.
Siberian Husky Traits
Siberian Huskies are very independent dogs and they are clever. This makes it harder to do obedience training with them. While training never hit your Siberian Husky, doing so will only make them fearful of you. Instead use plenty of treats to train even the strong willed dogs. They do have a high prey drive as well which can cause problems with other dogs if your husky is not trained early. Traits such as play biting should be controlled during the puppy stage so that your Husky can grow up to a well behaved adult. They can get bored easy if you do not keep them stimulated with plenty of toys and exercise.
Pictures of Siberian Huskies & Husky Puppies
Now that you had enough of the Siberian Husky facts, here are some beautiful Siberian Husky pictures that I was able to collect over time. Huskies are very beautiful dogs and they do have the most adorable puppies as well. The best feature about them are their eyes, it can be blue or brown and it can be half blue and half brown and even better one blue and one brown. To learn more Siberian Husky facts visit http://www.shca.org/